Areas of Practice
Kevin Timken has been a member of the firm’s corporate and securities practice group since 2000, helping public and private companies with equity financings, commercial transactions, and regulatory compliance. Kevin’s skills and expertise include:
- business planning and structuring, entity selection and formation, contract preparation and review, and compliance with federal and state securities laws
- preparing offering documents for public and private financings and periodic reports to comply with federal and state securities laws
- representing individuals and corporations in actions brought by the SEC and state agencies
- structuring complex mergers, securities offerings and acquisitions
- integrating securities, corporate law and financial reporting requirements with tax planning
- preparing ongoing disclosures to stockholders and the investment community
- coordinating international business ventures with local legal counsel, accountants and governmental authorities
- assisting clients with employment issues, including preparation of employment policies, manuals and agreements
- University of Utah, College of Law, Juris Doctor – 1997
- Order of the Coif – Top 10% of graduating class
- Managing Editor, Utah Law Review
- University of Northern Colorado, Bachelors Degree (English and history) – 1987 (cum laude)
Professional Activities, Publications and Awards
- Utah State Bar
- Officer, Securities Section-2009 to present
- Member, Securities and Business Law Sections
- Member, Utah Career Service Review Board-2000 to 2012, Chair, 2009 to 2012
- Utah Business magazine’s Legal Elite – 2006 – 2009
- Co-author, “Blow the Whistle: The Dodd-Frank Act Creates New Incentives for Whistleblowers — and Compliance Issues for Utah Businesses,” Utah Bar Journal, March-April 2012.
- Author, “Beware of the Unlicensed Broker-Dealer,” Utah CEO, July 2009.
- Author, “Raising Money in Hard Times,” Utah CEO, Aug. 2009.
- Author, “Going Public: Even Small Businesses Can Benefit in the Post-Enron World.” Utah Business, Nov. 2006.
- Presenter, “Professionalism and Civility for Transactional Lawyers,” Utah State Bar Association Cyberlaw Section Annual Meeting, September 2010.
- Presenter, “Professionalism and Civility for Transactional Lawyers,” Utah State Bar Association Annual Meeting, July 2010.
- Co-Presenter, “What is a Security?”, Southern Utah Bar Association Annual Meeting, December 2009.